PLUS: Dangers Around Water
The Water Safety Code consists of four simple rules to remember when you’re in, on or around water.
- Being prepared
- Children being watched by adults
- Understanding potential dangers around water and
- Know your limits.
This will help students understand how they and their family can have a safe and enjoyable time around water.
Water Skills For Life Plus
Fully funded by Tauranga businesses, Water Skills for Life Plus was conceived by a consortium including veteran water safety and swimming expert, Anne McLeod, Water Safety New Zealand and Swimming New Zealand.
Swimming New Zealand educators work with teachers providing one on one tuition, resources and support in both the classroom and school pool. This support is greater than the foundation programme offers. At no cost to the school teachers receive:
- A Water Skills for Life PLUS resource kit with new and specially designed classroom resources
- The support of a dedicated educator providing three hours of support over four sessions: two in the classroom and two poolside
- Student giveaways supplied by local corporate supporters
Teachers and students learn about:
1. Buoyancy, survival and swimming skills - Water Skill for Life, plus;
2. All about hypothermia and
3. How to identify risks in and around various open waters