PLUS: Learning About Hypothermia
The effect of cold water around the body is an important part of water safety knowledge. This module looks at the different stages of hypothermia on the body, who is most at risk, how to reduce the effects on the body as well as what steps to take when you recognise the signs that someone is suffering symptoms associated with hypothermia.
Water Skills For Life Plus
Fully funded by Tauranga businesses, Water Skills for Life Plus was conceived by a consortium including veteran water safety and swimming expert, Anne McLeod, Water Safety New Zealand and Swimming New Zealand.
Swimming New Zealand educators work with teachers providing one on one tuition, resources and support in both the classroom and school pool. This support is greater than the foundation programme offers. At no cost to the school teachers receive:
- A Water Skills for Life PLUS resource kit with new and specially designed classroom resources
- The support of a dedicated educator providing three hours of support over four sessions: two in the classroom and two poolside
- Student giveaways supplied by local corporate supporters
Teachers and students learn about:
1. Buoyancy, survival and swimming skills - Water Skill for Life, plus;
2. All about hypothermia and
3. How to identify risks in and around various open waters