PLUS: Learning About Rips
New Zealand beaches can give us some of our best memories but can also create some potential risks with rips creating more rescues and emergencies than any other beach accident. In this module, students learn the importance of how to recognise rips and other potential dangers caused by currents before they enter the water and what steps to take if they ever caught in a rip current.
Water Skills For Life Plus
Fully funded by Tauranga businesses, Water Skills for Life Plus was conceived by a consortium including veteran water safety and swimming expert, Anne McLeod, Water Safety New Zealand and Swimming New Zealand.
Swimming New Zealand educators work with teachers providing one on one tuition, resources and support in both the classroom and school pool. This support is greater than the foundation programme offers. At no cost to the school teachers receive:
- A Water Skills for Life PLUS resource kit with new and specially designed classroom resources
- The support of a dedicated educator providing three hours of support over four sessions: two in the classroom and two poolside
- Student giveaways supplied by local corporate supporters
Teachers and students learn about:
1. Buoyancy, survival and swimming skills - Water Skill for Life, plus;
2. All about hypothermia and
3. How to identify risks in and around various open waters